The Philips AVENT Microwave Steam Sterilizer ostensibly sterilizes items like pacifiers, cups, baby bottles, and the like in a safe manner to prevent accidental burning inside your microwave oven. It claims to fit in at least 4 bottles but mothers can maneuver the items in a way that fits in way more.
You can leave empty space for a more efficient sterilizing action. We’ve fitted and sterilized about 4 valves and membranes, 4 pump connectors, 4 nipple flanges, 6 caps, 3 nipples and rings, and 5 bottles (that can hold 5 ounces each).
Philips AVENT Microwave Steam Sterilizer Specifications
Here are the technical specifications of the Philips AVENT.
- Material Type: Plastic
- Is it dishwasher-safe? No
- Does it need batteries? No
- Item Model Number: SCF281/05
- Weight:07 pounds (740 grams)
- Country/Region of Origin: England/United Kingdom
- Product Dimensions: 11 x 11 x 6.5 inches (280 x 280 x 166 mm)
- Development Stages: Recommended for sterilization of paraphernalia for babies 0-6 months
- Sterilization Time: 2 minutes at 1.1Kw to 1.85Kw, 4 minutes at 850w to 1Kw, or 6 minutes at 500w to 800w.
Overview of the Philips AVENT Microwave Steam Sterilizer
The Philips AVENT or Avent Microwave Steam Sterilizer saves you hundreds of dollars in microwaveable bags or a full-blown hospital or laboratory sterilizer by having a steamer capable of sterilizing baby items like nipples and bottles for only 2 minutes.
Although the reviews on Philips AVENT Microwave Steam Sterilizer’s capacity might vary, it can by our own experience and recollection store or fit up to 5-6 bottles when it claims to only fit 4 Philips AVENT bottles (with ample space left) as well as various baby accessories in between.
Fits Most Microwaves
The Philips AVENT Sterilizer fits most microwaves, from solo light-duty microwaves to extra-large heavy-duty restaurant microwaves. Its size of 11 x 11 x 6.5 inches is equivalent to the typical size of a plate, while its headroom clears many a 1 cubic foot or so capacity microwave.
Stay-Cool Safety Tips
We love the stay-cool safety clips that secure the lid and keeps it fastened. This allows you to have handles to grab onto that doesn’t easily heat up so you can easily remove the microwaveable sterilizer from the microwave quite easily. It minimizes your risk of scalding yourself.
Convenient and Ultra-Fast
The Philips AVENT Sterilizer is ultra-fast because it can sterilize multiple items—bottles and nipples as well as rings and flanges—within two minutes. It works just like a regular steamer but for sterilization purposes. It’s also quite lightweight and compact for further ease of use outside the home.
Longevity of Sterilization
The contents you’ve sterilized for 2 minutes can remain sterile for up to a day if the sterilizer remains unopened. You can also always reheat them for 2 minutes in case of contamination. This will prevent your feeding baby girl or boy from being bacterially infected.
The Miracle of Steaming
Thanks to the miracle of steaming, you can sterilize items in just 2 minutes. However, this length of time depends on the wattage of your microwave.
It’s 2 minutes for 1.2 to 1.85 kilowatt microwaves, 4 minutes for microwaves with 850 watts to 1.1 kilowatts, and 6 minutes for 500 to 800 watt microwaves.
Kills Nearly All Germs
On top of washing the baby feeding paraphernalia to ensure 99.9 percent of germs and bacteria gets eliminated, you can further safeguard your child’s bacteria-free feeding experience by sterilizing his bottles and nipples or pacifiers and the like via boiling microwave steam.
Compatible with Various Bottle Brands
For the Philips AVENT brand bottles, you can fit in 4 of those bottles inside the sterilizer. You can fit more though, with some 5-ounce bottles ending up having enough space in the product to get 6 of them inside.
However, for effective sterilization, you shouldn’t pack the items too tightly and leave some space. This way, you’re assured that as long as the lid remains unopened the contents will remain sterile for a whole day.
Which Bottles Work with Philips AVENT?
The sterilizer can sterilize both wide-necked and standard-neck bottles. It can ideally sterilize up to 4 bottles the size of the Philips AVENT baby bottles at the same time. You can also use it for pacifiers, pumps, and other microwave-safe baby products too.
This includes cutlery that isn’t made of metal and various baby products you want to be bacteria-free and COVID-free.
Lightweight Design for Travel
Despite its capacity, it remains compact and lightweight enough to use for travel. You can take it wherever you and your baby go. It’s not exactly carry-on luggage but for the most part, it’s very portable.
Highlights of the Philips AVENT Microwave Steam Sterilizer
Here are the highlights of the Philips AVENT.
- It’s a compact and lightweight item.
- It’s easy to use and ultra fast to use.
- Amazon’s Choice for “bottle sterilizer”.
- It specifically sterilize up to 6 regular-sized 5-ounce bottles.
- The contents remain sterile for up to 24 hours if unopened.
- It’s an ultra-fast and easy-to-use microwave steam sterilizer.
- It’s compatible with both wide-neck and standard neck bottles.
- It fits most microwave oven with its 6.5 by 11 inches of measurement.
- It can sterilize baby bottles and other similar products in just 2 minutes only.
- Its natural steam kills 99.9 percent of bacteria and germs without chemical assistance.
- It’s less expensive than the steam sterilizer machine that looks like a microwave anyway.
- The lid is kept securely closed while the slide grips stay cool when taking the sterilizer out.
- A compact and lightweight design that makes it perfect for baby feeding safely while traveling.
- The Philips AVENT sterilizer was made to hold 4 Philips AVENT bottles at the same time, but other bottle brands and sizes could also be used with it.
With the Philips AVENT, you can sanitize multiple nipples, bottles, and baby feeding paraphernalia with space to spare in a total of 4 minutes. You microwave it for 2 minutes then wait for about 2 minutes for everything to cool down.
We believe it’s superior to cramming bottles and pump parts into microwave bags 3 to 4 times a day before feeding baby. It’s more convenient, less cumbersome, and you have to spend less time keeping those bottles bacteria-free when making sure your baby gets fed cleanly. It’s a must-have product truly.
- “Philips AVENT Microwave Steam Sterilizer“, Amazon.com