What is a microwave oven dust cover anyway? On that note, which one is the best one you could find in today’s post-pandemic world? You’d be surprised by the answer!
If you wish to defend your microwave exterior from dust then you should invest in a microwave dust cover. Or you can make one yourself if you’re good with the needle and thread or have a sewing machine on hand. Either way is good. However, it takes effort to sow a cloth dust cover.
What’s more, you have plenty of dust cover options on the Internet to choose from, many of which include side pockets for your dry goods and utensils such as microwave popcorn packets or potholders.
- 1 Buying Guide for Microwave Oven Dust Covers
- 2 Search for a Cover with the Right Material
- 3 Go for a Microwave-Specific or Universal-Fit Cover
- 4 Not Only Dust-Proof But Also Oil-Proof
- 5 Is It Washing Machine Safe or Not?
- 6 Go with a Dust Cover Choice with All the Bells and Whistles
- 7 Specifications or Product Details to Watch Out for
- 8 Steps to Wash or Clean Your Microwave Dust Cover
- 9 The Top 7 Best Microwave Oven Dust Cover Options Available
- 9.1 1. Durable, Washable, and Flowery Dust Cover is a Good Place to Start
- 9.2 2. Another Affordable Cotton and Linen Microwave Cover in Black Chessboard Design
- 9.3 3. A Mostly Black Dust Cover with 4 Storage Organizer Bags and Doubles as a Table Cloth
- 9.4 4. Full Coverage Gray Nylon Dust Cover That Borders on Being a Microwave Bag
- 9.5 5. A Heavy, Full-Coverage, and All-Black Microwave Toaster Cover and Protector
- 9.6 6. Multipurpose Microwave Oven Cover with Oil-Proof Cloth and Storage Pockets
- 9.7 7. More Flowery Than Ammsochy with Its Printed Sunflower Design on Eco-Friendly Linen
- 10 Where Do You Go From Here?
Buying Guide for Microwave Oven Dust Covers
The microwave oven serves as your best kitchen tool. Protect your important kitchen appliance from scratches, spills, or other damages on top of dustiness with the cover.
Search for a Cover with the Right Material
When searching for a dust cover for your microwave, go for the ones that maximize your investment. Avail of the ones made of linen or cotton. This way it cannot be easily deformed. However, it’s quite durable for sure.
Also, search for a cover that’s easy to carry and lightweight. On the other hand, heavier covers last longer and can protect your microwave from hard accidental impacts.
Go for a Microwave-Specific or Universal-Fit Cover
The cover doesn’t usually specify a model it could fit. Instead, you should scope out the size of the microwave and compare it to the dimensions of the cover to get the perfect pair-up. A good cover can be used with most microwaves and show suitability for restaurants, kitchens, and pantries.
Additionally, it should be beautifully made yet remain relatively simple. It shouldn’t have too many useless ornaments on it. It should be fully functional and practical with pockets rather than embroidery that makes it washing machine unsafe.
Not Only Dust-Proof But Also Oil-Proof
Your dust cover should be dustproof or dust-proof as a matter of course. It is a dust cover, after all. However, in the same vein, they should also defend against oiliness. Dishes with loads of oil can mess up your microwave from the interior and exterior.
Use a plastic microwave cover to defend the interior from splashback and use a microwave dust cover to protect the exterior for the same thing.
Is It Washing Machine Safe or Not?
A typical microwave oven dust cover has pockets attached to it as a storage solution. It protects the microwave by absorbing all the dust. Many of them can easily be washed by a washing machine. Others require hand washing.
The better ones by our estimation are the ones that are washing machine safe. Regardless, here’s the lowdown on what to look for when it comes to dust covers for your microwave.
Go with a Dust Cover Choice with All the Bells and Whistles
Your cover of choice should naturally have good coverage in order to keep your microwave oven dust-free and oil-free across the board at every inch. Its fabric choice should make sense, like linen, to ensure durability when used.
Finally, its pocket design typically should feature two pockets on each side for storage of small objects, books, pot holders, and everything else for your convenience.
Specifications or Product Details to Watch Out for
When shopping for a cover, look out for the following specifics.
- Widely Applicable Use: The cover can either specifically cater to microwave ovens or can double as a cover for a small refrigerator, toaster, conventional oven, coffeemaker, table, wardrobe, or other appliances.
- Quality: While usually, you can’t judge cover quality until you get it, the reviews on the product should reveal to you in an objective fashion how durable or fragile a given cover can get. After all, this is an important investment. Specifically choose a cover made of polyester (synthetic) or cotton (natural) fabric because they offer better service for the long term.
- Home Décor: At least make sure the dust cover has a complementary color or look relative to your kitchen’s own design so that it looks great and pleasing to the eyes as it protects your microwave from harm or dirtiness.
- Aesthetics: Go for a dust cover with a sleek design or anything that matches the interior decoration of your kitchen. Don’t just focus on function. The design can also dictate how worthwhile a product is. There’s no accounting for taste, yes. You can also match the cover with the microwave. You can get a similarly white, black, gray, stainless steel, or colorful cover that makes it look like it came with the device when push comes to shove.
- Storage Solution: Get a cover that makes sense as a storage solution. The cover should have usable pockets and can even cover the whole microwave in case you wish to store it away or bring it with you during camping.
- Price: The price of a cover ranges from $9 to $15 depending on what it’s made of. The better the fabric the more you have to pay for it. The more fabric is used to cover for extra-large microwaves the more you’ll have to invest. That’s just the way it works.
A decently priced cover ensures you that it doesn’t get damaged easily. What you save in terms of cost can get wasted because of a cover that’s made of thin, easy-to-grip material.
Steps to Wash or Clean Your Microwave Dust Cover
The dust cover is supposed to ensure the longevity of your microwave, but it can’t do its job if you neglect it as well. Do the following to ensure your dust cover remains as long-lasting as your microwave itself.
- Wash Monthly: Wash the cover every month. If you do cloth washing every month, you need to make sure the cover is changed thrice a week (you need two other spare covers, in other words).
- Cleaning Hard-to-Remove Stains: If you’re dealing with hard-to-remove spots or stains then use baking soda and hot water for spot treatment.
- Soak in a Bucket: Fill a bucket with vinegar or detergent along with warm water. Mix the solution then soak the cover in it for 20 minutes. You can also add a tablespoon of baking soda for extra deodorizing power.
- Washing with a Washing Machine: When cleaning the cover in a washing machine, don’t let it soak overnight or for too long (like hours).
- Add Bleach for Whites: If you have a white or light-colored dust cover then you should add bleach on it in order to ensure better cleanup. The bleach helps it become immaculately white after washing.
- Soft Fabric Cleaning: If you’re cleaning soft fabric, use a gentle cycle or hand wash. Also, don’t use a dryer. Just wring the water out and hang it on a clothesline for drying.
- Be Careful When Washing Ornaments: Use color fabric bleach if you have a decorative or variegated kind of fabric for your dust cover. Be careful to hand wash such covers to prevent tearing apart its ornaments when washing.
The Top 7 Best Microwave Oven Dust Cover Options Available
Here are the top 7 best microwave oven dust cover options available on Amazon.
1. Durable, Washable, and Flowery Dust Cover is a Good Place to Start
The feminine and lightweight Ammsochy Microwave Oven Cover might not stand out because of who makes it. It doesn’t have strong branding. However, in the dust cover market, which company made the product isn’t as important as how well the product is made.
Buying this particular about $9 cover should serve as a great place to start for your dust cover needs because of its wide size, durable material, and presence of storage pockets.
|Size||10.04 x 9.45 x 0.87 inches|
|Material||Cotton and linen blend|
|Color||Pink (pink flower)|
2. Another Affordable Cotton and Linen Microwave Cover in Black Chessboard Design
As for about $9 Diaotec Cotton Linen Microwave Oven Cover, it’s the more popular cover relative to Ammsochy. Its modern design allows it to fit into more kitchen interior designs compared to the more flowery, feminine, and ornamental dust cover above.
It blends linen and cotton together and it doesn’t have delicate embroidery to watch out for when machine washing or hand washing the product. However, it’s the smaller cover.
|Size||9.92 x 6.26 x 1.34 inches|
|Material||Cotton and linen blend|
|Color||Black (black chessboard)|
3. A Mostly Black Dust Cover with 4 Storage Organizer Bags and Doubles as a Table Cloth
As for the highly popular and highly rated MF2FLAY Microwave Oven Dust Proof Cover, there’s a reason why Amazon customers love this cover over Ammsochy and Diaotec. It has 4 storage organizer bags and aesthetics reminiscent of black marble.
The durable cotton and linen blend top dust cover costs about the same as the other two but has multiple pockets and bags for multipurpose kitchen utensil storage.
|Size||12.99 x 9.92 x 1.02 inches|
|Material||Cotton and linen blend|
|Color||Black (black with white streaks)|
4. Full Coverage Gray Nylon Dust Cover That Borders on Being a Microwave Bag
About $14 Luxja Dust Cover for Microwave Oven has the same ratings as MF2FLAY but fewer customers rated it as such (about almost 650 users more, to be specific). It fits most 0.7 cubic feet of microwaves.
Its pocket can be used for kitchen valuables like spatulas, a recipe or cookbook, scissors, and other utensils when push comes to shove. Its interior is also lined with soft padding to keep its boxy shape.
|Size||18.25 x 14.5 x 11 inches|
|Material||Nylon cloth (with soft padding)|
|Color||Gray (with black trim)|
5. A Heavy, Full-Coverage, and All-Black Microwave Toaster Cover and Protector
Unlike other covers with thinner and lighter material, about $16 I-MART Microwave Oven Toaster Cover is more like Luxia and less like MF2FLAY, Diaotec, and Ammsochy. It shares ratings with MF2FLAY and Luxja, but it has at least 130-something ratings.
Like Luxja, it covers the whole microwave so you can’t use the device while it’s covering it (unlike with Diaotec and Ammsochy). It belongs on this list because of its thicker, waterproof, and heat-resistant nylon fabric.
|Size||10.79 x 8.66 x 1.65 inches|
|Material||Nylon (heat-resistant and waterproof fabric)|
6. Multipurpose Microwave Oven Cover with Oil-Proof Cloth and Storage Pockets
The Annchaos Microwave Oven Cover is another lightweight top dust cover that’s slightly larger than the MF2FLAY cover. Aside from the microwave oven, you can use it as cover for toasters, toaster ovens, OTGs (oven toaster grills), and conventional ovens.
About $10 shares the same user ratings as Luxja, MF2FLAY, and I-MART but from 160-something users. Its bright yellow color makes it stand out from the darker microwave colors while not being too ornately feminine like the Ammsochy cover.
|Size||13.39 x 9.96 x 1.22 inches|
|Material||Cotton and linen blend|
|Color||Yellow (white checkerboard trim)|
7. More Flowery Than Ammsochy with Its Printed Sunflower Design on Eco-Friendly Linen
About $11 LANEABUY Microwave Oven Cover also lacks popularity like Ammsochy. However, it has a distinctive sunflower design while also being made completely from pure linen. It’s slightly heavier than Ammsochy, MF2FLAY, and Diaotec but also slightly larger.
It’s mainly characterized by its use of eco-friendly material that’s oil-proof and dust-proof. Its linen is breathable, doesn’t fade, and features amazing durability. Its printed sunflowers further emphasize its ecological themes.
|Size||11.97 x 9.33 x 0.83 inches|
|Color||White and yellow (printed sunflowers)|
Where Do You Go From Here?
The MF2FLAY Microwave Oven Dust Proof Cover is the best cover on this list.
You can buy all sorts of dust covers for your appliance, but to make sure you get the right one you should have the size and dimensions of your microwave on hand. This way, you can avoid buying something too big or too small
What’s more, search for reviews and feedback from friends and customers online who have used such products before. Then you can make a truly informed buying decision when all is said and done.